cob shelter, plan and update

I had to apply for permission to raise the shelter in my garden. Because the garden colony area is under nature protection, the regulations are rather strict.


I got a friend who is good at google sketchup to draw a quick sketch.


The south front is all in glass and is directly extended with a greenhouse of 5 m2. The cob construction is thus limited to three walls, west, north and east. The dimensions of the sketch are not quite right, but it still illustrates the idea.

The roof construction will be from wooden logs, used floorboards and topped with a layer of soil.

Last winter and in preparation for the construction I fell a few Nordmann firs in a nearby, old-grown christmas-tree plantation. Of course with permission of the owner.


That was quite challenging as there is hardly any spot in the densely grown forest to let the trees down. And I promised the owner of the forest to not create any clearings, but rather to pick a single tree and then move further to another area. So all trees had to be taken out from another densely grown area. Consequently, the only way to get them down was to clime the trees with a saw and cut all branches and the top before falling the remaining trunk with the power saw. This is probably not the way to pay one s last respect to a tree. But at least I tried to do it quickly.

The axe was used to strip the bark, which was best and easiest done within a few weeks after falling. Preferably immediately.

I left the trunks in the forest, where they are still laying – off the ground – in the dark forest and protected from direct sunlight not to develop cracks.

I just brought a single one home to the garden, because I had to find out if I could do it with the sack barrow as I envisioned.


And yes it worked. By now they are much dryer and lighter.

The west wall is taking shape. With a critical look at the cob work you can still see the different layers of different working periods. When I work day by day, I can on the second – and even the third – day still work the cob from the first day by pushing the rod from the side to punch holes. When I take breaks, the cob dries so much, that it is impossible to form it any longer.

You can see from the form of the wall and the color nuance the result of 4 times 3 days of work. The tiny part of the wall to the very left is by now completely dry and as hard as concrete.


Dette indlæg blev udgivet i Uncategorized. Bogmærk permalinket.